Diego Maradona‘s life was not always on the right track. Sometimes he has scored goals on the football field and has made the fans excited. Sometimes, people have laughed at controversial things. But Maradona is also a special name for football fans in the midst of the controversy.
Maradona has left his life full of rising and falling. The legendary footballer died on Wednesday after suffering from a heart attack. Football-based website Goal.com has covered 70 topics of Argentina’s legendary adventure. Let’s take a look at it:
1. Diego Maradona was born on October 30, 1960, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
2. He scored 34 goals in 91 matches for the Argentine national team.
3. Maradona has played four World Cups for the country.
4. Maradona contributed to the 1982 Boca Juniors League Championship before joining Barcelona. He left Barcelona in 1984 and moved to Naples. Two Serie A champions won the Italian club from 1987 to 1990.
5. Maradona has the highest match record as captain of any team in the World Cup. He led Argentina in 16 matches.
6. He played 21 matches for Argentina in the World Cup.
7. He became a professional football legend on 20 October 1976 for Argentinians Juniors.
8. He was in the Argentina team that won the 1979 Youth World Cup in Japan.
9. Maradona has been crowned the Argentine jersey at the age of 16 against Hungary on February 27, 1977, at the Bombonera Stadium in Buenos Aires.
10. The number of people who have been in Maradona has Che Guevara on his arm and Fidel Castro tattooed on his left leg.
11. Diego Maradona made fouls 53 times in the 1986 Mexico World Cup matches.
12. Maradona also has a record of being the most frequent foul-hit in a World Cup match. He was the victim of a foul 23 times in the 1982 World Cup against Italy.
13. The first time ion Argentina won the 1986 World Cup after beating West Germany 3-2 under Maradona’s leadership.
14. The first time ion was a man Maradona won the Golden Ball in recognition of his outstanding performance in the 1986 tournament.
15. The first time ion was a man Maradona scored with his hand in the quarter-final against England in the 1986 World Cup. The goal is called the ‘Hand of God’.
16. In 1987, He won the Serie A title for Naples. In 1990, he repeated the same success. He won the UEFA Cup in 1989.
17. The first time icon was a man Maradona played only two matches in the 1994 United States World Cup. You see the net against Greece. He has been then torn apart after failing to pass the dope test.
18. Maradona married Claudio Viafan on November 7, 1989, in Buenos Aires. They split in 2004.
19. Maradona started a talk show on television in Argentina in 2005. He was a guest on his first show.
20. Maradona took over as coach of the Argentina national team in October 2008.
21. Argentina lost the World Cup under Maradona, 6-1 against Bolivia. That touches the previous record of the most buzz. He was banned for two matches for making bad comments about the match.
22. Maradona was appointed as Argentina coach on November 19, 2008. Argentina lost to Scotland 1-0 in that match at Eden Park.
23. The number of people who have been in Maradona criticized FIFA for criticizing the World Cup ball “Jubilee” on June 22, 2010.
24. Maradona jumped over the security wall during the 2010 World Cup knockout stage and hugged His ex-wife, Salvatore Bagni.
25. Maradona kept Lionel Messi in the spotlight after Argentina’s departure from the 2010 World Cup.
26. Former saint Jose Valdano said of Maradona in 2006, “He is someone that many people want to imitate, a controversial figure who loves, hates, who has been very shaken, especially in Argentina. ‘
27. The Argentina Football Association (AFA) requested FIFA to retire the No.10 jersey, which FIFA refused.
28. Argentina’s Juniors named themselves the stadium by Estadio Diego Armando Maradona.
29. After losing to England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final, Maradona said, “It was like we lost a country that is more than football. ‘
30. In 1996, Maradona said, “I was, I am, and I will always be addicted to drugs. People with drug addiction have to fight it every day. ‘
31. FIFA decided in 2000 to declare the new century’s best football. Pele and Maradona were jointly recognized as the best of the century.
32. When asked about the best XI in 1990, Argentina coach Carlos Bilardo made a famous statement: “Maradona and the other 10.”
33. Maradona was made the vice president of Boca Juniors in 2005. He resigned a year later.
34. Serbian filmmaker Amy Kusturica made a documentary about Maradona. It was shown at the Cannes Film Festival in 2008.
35. In 1986, former England coach Sir Bobby Robinson said, “Arsenal can win the World Cup with Maradona. ‘
36. Former England defender Phil Nel saw 18-year-old Maradona in 1978 and said, “This boy is incredible, the best I’ve ever seen. ‘
37. In 1998, fans in Buenos Aires started the Church of Maradona.
38. Maradona scored his second goal four minutes after the ‘Hand of God’ goal against England.
39. The French show Les Guigos de l’Info has a Maradona-like doll.
40. Maradona has a great friendship with Cuban leader Raul Castro.
41. Maradona had to leave Naples that year after failing a drug test for cocaine in 1991.
42. Maradona, who refused to attend the 2006 World Cup opening ceremony in Germany, said, “I’m not there to see him wandering around. ‘
43. When the war started, Maradona, who failed as a national team coach, was found to be a scoundrel.
44. Italian authorities reported in 2009 that Maradona owed them 37million euros. The figure reached that point with more than half the interest on the original loan.
45. Maradona’s goal per match in the domestic club competition is zero-minus 526.
46. Maradona is fifth in Argentina’s highest scorer list. He was preceded by Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta, Sergio Agnew, and Hernan Crespo.
47. The Tartan Army, the Scottish fan group, praised Maradona for his 1986 World Cup defeat to neighboring England.
48. Maradona said of the 1998 World Cup, “All players have straight legs. They’re like Robocup. They need more lubricant than massage. ‘
49. In 2008, The IIMSAM greeted Maradona.
50. In a 1997 book about Maradona, The Argentine psychologist and author Gustavo Bernstein said, “Maradona is our highest limit in giving examples. ‘
51. Maradona has broken the transfer fee record twice as the only player in football history.
52. Maradona is the toughest opponent in the eyes of Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini.
53. Maradona and Messi have won the golden ball only in the FIFA World Cup and FIFA Under-20 World Cup.
54. On August 17, 2015, Maradona met Tunisian referee Ali Bin Nasser and presented him with his own signed Argentina jersey.
55. Maradona published his autobiography ‘ I Am The Diego in 2000. He donated the book to the Cuban people.
56. The Argentina-based Konex Foundation awarded Maradona the Diamond Conex award in 1990.
57. Maradona had the glass of the photographer’s car.
58. Bob Wilson said, “He’s a flawed talent, a bad talent. ‘
59. Maradona was the one who got the ball for the opposition fans in the match against Real Madrid.
60. Maradona made a partnership with Bruno Giordino and Carca, who brought The Serie A title to Naples in 1989-90.
61. Maradona did not get a place in the 1978 World Cup because he was only 17.
62. Maradona’s 2019 bio-pic was released.
63. The authorities had placed his ‘Gool of the Century’ statue at the entrance of Azteca stadium to pay tribute to Maradona.
64. Legally Maradona is the father of two children. He once said about his fatherhood, ‘My legal sons, Dalma and Gianna. The rest is the result of money and mistakes. ‘
65. In December 2007, Maradona presented his signature jersey in support of the Iranian people.
66. In April 2013, Maradona met Hugo Chavez, who later became president of Venezuela.
67. Film director Kusturica once said about Maradona, “I’m sure if he wasn’t a footballer, he would be a revolutionary.” ‘
68. Maradona has been linked with the FIFA ’18 and Pro Evolution Sokar 2018 as a legendary player.
69. Despite the rivalry between Argentina and Brazil, Diego Costo of Brazil was added to the name of Maradona.
70. Maradona was shown in the music video of Shakira singing ‘Waka Waka’ during the 2010 World Cup.