Listen to the Podcast:
At The Best FIFA Football Awards 2022, the winner was announced. Emi Martinez came out on top in the voting, beating out Yassine Bounou and Thibaut Courtois.
Martinez was honored because he was crucial to the success of Argentina’s 2022 FIFA World Cup.
The award was chosen by coaches and captains of national teams and by expert journalists and fans worldwide.
At The Best FIFA Football Awards 2022, the winner was announced. In the voting, Martinez came out on top, beating out Yassine Bounou and Thibaut Courtois.
Martinez was Argentina’s last line of defense in their winning bid for Qatar 2022. He was a figure of inspiration and excellence.
The 30-year-old was a key player for his country and won the Golden Glove for being the best goalkeeper at the tournament.
His reputation as a penalty shootout expert was boosted by his fantastic saves when Argentina beat the Netherlands in the last eight and France in the final.
In that fantastic final, Martinez also made one of the most critical saves in football history.
In the 123rd minute, with the score tied at 3-3, France’s Randal Kolo Muani ran through on goal and fired a shot that seemed to be headed for the bottom corner of the net.
But Martinez made a great save with his left foot outstretched to keep the game going to penalties.
Martinez has also been great for his club team, Aston Villa
, over the past 18 months. He has solidified his place as one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League.
In Argentina’s dramatic quarterfinal win over the Netherlands, Martinez saved two great shots from Virgil van Dijk and Steven Berghuis. He was the hero of that game because he saved two penalty kicks.
During the tournament, Martinez made a reel of his most impressive saves.
Martinez spent some heartwarming time with his family on the field at Lusail Stadium after lifting the Fifa World Cup
trophy after Argentina’s fantastic victory in the final.
What People Had to Say about Martinez…
“Martinez is fundamental. When people try to fight him, he always answers. He made himself a good goalie, and now we have one of the best in the world.” Lionel Messi
, Argentina’s captain.
“Every time someone asked him a question, he had an answer. I like that he comes to get crosses. Then I look at his one-on-one games, which he does very well. But I think he is very, very good at getting the ball to where it needs to go. The ball just flies up when he kicks it, and it’s right on the spot. That is a good gun.” Peter Schmeichel, legendary former Manchester United and Denmark goalkeeper.
“Messi is great, but Martinez is a real hero. He is also a little bit crazy.” Pablo Zabaleta, ex-Argentina defender.
How The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper Winner was Decided?
- The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper award was first given to five players. A panel of experts chose these players.
- Men’s national team coaches, national team captains, football journalists, and fans who voted on FIFA’s website chose from this shortlist. People chose their first, second, and third choices for who they thought should win.
- Nominees were given points based on where they came in the list (five points for first, three for second, and one for third).
- Nominees for the captain of a national team couldn’t vote for themselves.
- There were four groups of voters: coaches, captains, journalists, and fans. Each group’s votes counted for 25% of the total vote, no matter how many people were in that group.
- The person with the most points was given the Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper award.
Independent observers kept an eye on the voting for the Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper award.
Subscribe to Our Latest Newsletter
To Read Our Exclusive Content, Sign up Now.