Pele – The Only Player with Three World Cup Titles
Listen to Podcast:
Pele, the King of Football, will always be remembered in the annals of football. In addition to the various records and accolades he collected over the course of his lengthy career, “O Rei” earned a name for himself playing for Brazil at the World Cup.
In fact, the Brazilian superstar’s contribution was so significant that it is now impossible to envision the Canarinha’s glory without it. Pele is the player with the most awards because he competed in four World Cups – 1958, 1962, 1966, and 1970 – and won three of them in 1958, 1962, and 1970.
He had assistance from some other greats, like Mario Zagallo, Garrincha, Didi, Vava, Nilton, Djalma, Rivelino, and Tostao. However, Pele unquestionably stood out as the World Cup’s brightest star in at least two of the tournaments: 1958 and 1970.
Pele was only able to participate in two games in 1962, during which he scored one goal, before getting hurt against Czechoslovakia. He didn’t receive a winner’s medal from FIFA until 2007, as at the time it was only given to participants in the championship game.
In contrast to those from 1958 and 1970, this title. Pele made his debut to the world in 1958. He and Garrincha were instrumental in obtaining Brazil’s first championship when they were each 17 years old. Brazil currently has five titles – 1994 and 2002 and the three already mentioned with Pele.
He had a long and fruitful career with Santos, the New York Cosmos, and the Brazilian National Team.
The following is a list of all the awards he has received:
- Brazil has won three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970).
- Santos has won the Campeonato Paulista ten times (1958, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1973).
- Santos has won the Brazilian Serie A six times (1961, 1962, 1964, 1964, 1964, 1965 and 1968).
- Santos has won the Torneio Rio-Sao four times (1959, 1963, 1964 and 1966).
- Santos has won the Copa Libertadores twice (1962 and 1963).
- Santos has won the Intercontinental Cup twice (1962 and 1963).
- Winner of the Intercontinental Super Cup once (1968).
- The New York Cosmos won the NASL Soccer Bowl once (1977)
He is the only player to have won three World Cups, and to do so, he has had to stand out individually, as the following awards show:
- Santos’ highest scorer in the Campeonato Paulista (1957, 1958, 199,1960, 1961,1962,1963, 1964,1965, 1969, 1973).
- Brazil won the FIFA World Cup for the Best Young Player in 1958.
- All-Star squad at the FIFA World Cup (1958 and 1970).
- The Copa America’s best player and top scorer in 1959.
- In 1962 and 1963, he was the Intercontinental Cup’s leading scorer.
- In 1965, he was the top scorer in the Copa Libertadores.
- In 1973, he was named South American Footballer of the Year.
- In 1976, he was named the NASL’s Most Valuable Player.
- In 1975, 1976, and 1977, he was a member of the NASL All-Star team.
- He has been a member of the FIFA World Cup All-Time Team since 1994.
- In 1997, he was awarded the MARCA Leyenda.
- Member of the 20th Century World Team.
- According to the IFFHS, he was the best player of the twentieth century.
- According to the IFFHS, he was the best South American player of the twentieth century.
- FIFA’s 20th Century Player.
- Historic Selection for the Copa America.
- Hall of Fame for International Football.