From Patient Care to Advocacy: The Impact on International Nurses Day
Listen to the Podcast:
International Nurses Day is annually observed on May 12, the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth. She is the founder of modern nursing. This day recognizes the altruistic commitment and contributions nurses have made to the healthcare industry and society as a whole.
Every year, the International Council of Nurses (ICN) recognizes the significance of nurses. Nurses perform a vital role in protecting society, particularly from the corona pandemic. They dedicate their lives to assisting those in need. The candidates must have knowledge of International Nurses Day 2023. This article discusses International Nurses Day 2023, including its history, theme, and significance.
History of International Nurses Day
International Nurses Day has been celebrated since 1974 when it was started by the International Council of Nurses. Patients are mostly cared for by nurses. Sometimes, a patient starts to feel better just because a nurse is kind to them. So, Nurses Day celebrates everyone who works as a nurse, which is a very important job.
In 1974, May 12 was picked as the day to celebrate around the world because Florence Nightingale was born on that day. She was the first person to start modern nursing. On this day, the International Council of Nurses (ICN) makes the International Nurses’ Kit, which nurses all over the world use to learn and share knowledge with the public.
Read More: World Asthma Day 2023
International Nurses Day 2023
International Nurses Day 2023
May 12, 2023
International Council of Nurses (ICN)
Our Nurses. Our Future
To commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale and honour the effort of nurses around the world.
International Nurses Day 2023 Theme
International Nurses Day 2023 Theme is “Our Nurses. Our Future”. The theme of International Nurses Day is selected annually to highlight various aspects of nursing and to bring attention to the difficulties faced by nurses. The themes are intended to serve as a unifying focal point for nurses worldwide and to encourage them to collaborate on addressing the profession’s most pressing issues.
The International Council of Nurses (ICN) selects a theme each year that reflects the current state of nursing and the challenges confronting nurses. The themes are intended to inspire and motivate nurses to continue their essential work, and to acknowledge their indispensable role in the healthcare industry.
How is International Nurses Day Celebrated?
International Nurses Day is observed annually with a candlelight service at Westminster Abbey in London. Suppose a nurse passes a candle luminary to another nurse.
This indicates that knowledge is transferred from one nurse to another in order to position it on the altar of excellence. The day after her birthday, St. Margaret’s Church will stage a grand ceremony at Florence Nightingale’s grave.
Today is National Nursing Week in the United States and Canada, which is celebrated for an entire week. Various lactation ceremonies are also held in Australia. Even the American Nurses Association supports and promotes nurses’ duties and celebrations.
Seminars, community events, debates, competitions, and so forth are among the activities that are organized. Friends, physicians, administrators, and patients also honour and appreciate a nurse by presenting gifts, and flowers, and hosting dinners.
Read More: Doxycycline Ruined My Life
The Importance of International Nurses Day
International Nurses Day is a significant celebration that recognizes and commemorates the invaluable contributions of nurses worldwide. Patient well-being, safety, and recovery are the responsibility of nurses, who play a vital role in the medical profession. Despite facing numerous obstacles, nurses labour tirelessly to aid in the birth of new life and care for the sick and injured. They occasionally save lives by spotting errors in prescriptions. Without nurses, the world would be a very different place, as they provide care and support to those in need.
Nurses are responsible for administering treatments, monitoring patients, documenting vital signs, mentoring junior nurses, and managing medical records, among other duties. Their work contributes to ensuring that patients receive the best possible care and support, and they play a vital role in promoting global health and well-being. As a result, it is essential to observe International Nurses Day and recognize the dedication and commitment of nurses worldwide.
International Nurses Day 2023 Quotes
- “Nurses dispense comfort, compassion, and caring without even a prescription.” – Val Saintsbury
- “Always thank your nurse! Sometimes they’re the only one between you and a hearse” Warren Beaty
- “The character of the nurse is as important as the knowledge she possesses.” – Carolyn Jarvis
- “To do what nobody else will do, in a way that nobody else can do, in spite of all we go through; that is what it is to be a nurse.” – Rawsi Williams
- “A nurse is compassion in scrubs” Lexie Saige
- “Nursing is not for everyone. It takes a very strong, intelligent, and compassionate person to take on the ills of the world with passion and purpose and work to maintain the health and well-being of the planet.” – Donna Wilk Cardillo
- “The trained nurse has become one of the great blessings of humanity, taking a place beside the physician and the priest” William Osler
- “Nurses are the heart of healthcare.” – Donna Wilk Cardillo
- “Nursing is an art: and if it is to make an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter’s or sculptor’s work.” – Florence Nightingale
- “Being a nurse means to hold all your own tears and start drawing smiles on people’s faces” Dana Basem
- “Nursing encompasses an art, a humanistic orientation, a feeling for the value of the individual, and an intuitive sense of ethics, and of the appropriateness of action taken.” – Myrtle Aydelotte
- “Nurses are a unique kind. They have this insatiable need to care for others, which is both their biggest strength and fatal flaw.” – Dr. Jean Watson
- “Nursing is not just an art, it has a heart. Nursing is not just a science, but it has a conscience.” – Unknown
- “Nursing is the protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities, and populations.” – American Nurses Association.
Read More: International Women’s Day 2023
International Nurses Day 2023 Wishes
- “Sending my Best wishes on Nurse Day to you for you are a source of inspiration and happiness for many patients and their families.”
- “Whenever a patient feels better, it is not only a success for the doctor but also a success for the nurse who puts her heart, sweat, and soul into his service. Happy Nurse Day 2023”
- “You don’t just help patients heal physically but you also help them become stronger individuals with strong minds…. It is your magic that makes you an amazing person and the most wonderful nurse…. Sending best wishes to you on Nurse Day my kind nurse.”
- “We may not realize but without nurses, the services of a doctor are incomplete because nurses are the ones who are always connected with the patients. Warm wishes on Nurse Day 2023”
- “Sending warm wishes on Nurse Day to the most amazing nurse in the world…. You are truly making this world a better place to live in by offering your services….. You are a role model for all of us to be kind to patients and be ready to help them…. Happy Nurse Day to you.”
- “Wishing a very Happy Nurse Day for all the hard work you put into your job without any compromises and excuses. Thank you”
- “Dear nurse, wishing you a very Happy Nurses Day…. You are the reason that many people fight their illnesses and recover healthily and happily…. You are the reason for so many happy faces going back home…. You are the reason for many as you give them hope to live!!!”
- “Thanks for the care of people on the most difficult days of their life. Thanks for your unconditional service. Wishing International Nurses Day.”
- “Warm wishes on the occasion of Nurse Day to all the nurses out there who compromise with the comfort and life to give their services to the patients”
- “Every day you make someone smile…. You help someone come out of the pain…. You make a difference in someone’s life….. Sending best wishes on Nurse Day to you for you are a source of inspiration and happiness for many patients and their families…. Happy Nurses Day 2023.”
- “Being a nurse is a blessing but offering unconditional services to patients is your karma…. And you my dear nurse are a role model for everyone as you have always been selfless in giving the best of the services and helping patients recover….. Wishing you Happy Nurse Day.”
- “Nurses all around the world, I want to let you know that you all are appreciated and respected. Wishing International Nurses Day.”
- “Sending wishes on Nurse Day to the most amazing Nurse in the world, You are truly making this world a better place by offering your services.”
Read Also: International Mother Language Day
International Nurses Day is a significant celebration honouring nurses’ contributions to the healthcare industry. The contribution of nurses to the delivery of quality healthcare to patients is crucial, and it is essential to recognize their hard work and dedication. By commemorating International Nurses Day, we can increase awareness of the difficulties nurses encounter and promote the nursing profession as an essential career option.