Why India is The Most Preferred Destinations for IVF Treatment?
The in vitro fertilization (IVF) services market in India is projected to reach 775.9 million US Dollars by 2022. If it does, then it will have had a CAGR of 16.6 percent from 2016 to 2022. Growing infertility around the world is/will be the reason for it. India treats/assists domestic as well as international patients too. In the past decade, year by year, the number of treatment seekers from abroad has only grown. India is among the top 10 preferred nations for IVF treatment.
Apart from infertility, there are many reasons why a couple can choose IVF treatment. Genetic disorders, females going through cancer treatments or such treatment (they opt for fertility-preserving), a partner going through STDs or some disease (donor sperm/egg is used), and there are many other cases. IVF treatment is simply artificial fertilization of sperm and egg (both/either of couple/donor). Today India has several IVF clinics, fertility centers, sperm banks, egg freezing centers, and embryo freezing centers. Usually, hospitals or big clinics have mostly all of them, but as per location and demand, many specialists run a particular type of facility.
IVF Treatment in India benefits:
Cost-effective- IVF treatment cost in India is around one-fourth of the same as in developed countries. Other than treatment costs, average stay, transportation, and travel in India is relatively cheaper than in other countries. In the cost of treatment in the developed country, a couple can have at least two or at most four IVF cycles in India.
- Success Rate- India’s IVF success rate is good, reliable, and among the highest in the world. Success rates include egg/sperm retrieval, fertilization, and embryo implantation. For any IVF treatment, the seeker success rate matters the most, the success rate roughly tells us the average number of cycles a patient needed to go through for conceiving. Like 33% success rate will mean that on average, three IVF cycles are required by the patient to conceive.
- Rising Technology- India has advanced procedures such as assisted laser hatching, oocyte & ovarian tissue freezing embryo biopsy, DNA fragmentation, and personalized embryo transfer too. Cryopreservation is also available in India. It’s a specialized process for preserving eggs, sperm, or the zygote (fertilized cell) for a longer period. They are kept in low temperatures. It’s a highly reliable process.
- Good Infrastructure- India is a developing country and has people living on both extremes of the economy. Hospitals in India highly range in terms of price, hospitality, and other treatment-related services. From luxurious treatments to highly affordable ones, a treatment seeker can find many options.
- Rules and regulations (laws) in India- It’s a democratic country that supports free will until it serves the collective good of all the people. India was known as a surrogacy hub until December 2019. Then the surrogacy bill almost imposed a complete ban on surrogacy in India. The only hindrance you can have in IVF treatment in India is extensive paperwork, which is also getting reduced with the Digital India Programme.
- Skill and expertise of doctors in India- The IVF specialists in India have proven their expertise and experience by achieving an ideal success rate and high patient count. They are competent in handling the most complex cases. Many Indian doctors have also received international recognition by being rewarded with various awards and accolades for their contribution to this field.
Treatment places in India
India has 29 States and 7 Union territories, which are further divided into many cities, towns, and villages. The government of India has made its mission to spread healthcare facilities all around the land. Following are the urban cities (in random order) that are developed and have good healthcare facilities:
IVF treatment procedure is almost the same in all parts of the world, from country to country it depends upon the technology and methods they have adopted. The primary procedure is retrieving eggs/sperm, fertilizing them in an artificial environment, and then implanting the embryo in the uterus of the female partner. The following is the process of an IVF treatment in India:
- Ovulation induction- Before and during the IVF process, the fertility specialist will monitor ovaries and the timing of their egg release. The doctor will then make sure that the ovaries produce eggs, and that the hormone levels remain normal. Most women are consulted to take fertility medicines or hormones enhancing/stimulating drugs at this time to stimulate the ovaries to produce one or more eggs. This is done to retrieve more than one egg; it increases the chances of IVF success. In this process, oocytes (cells that develop into eggs) are formed in ovaries. To further pace up the process, trigger shots are given by doctors according to the requirement.
- Egg retrieval- This is done after monitoring the egg release, pain medication is given to reduce discomfort if any. Then a very thin needle is passed through the upper vaginal wall, the doctors are guided by vaginal ultrasound, then the fluid is removed from the follicles through gentle suction. Immediately after this, the oocyte (egg) is isolated from the follicular fluid. It’s normal to retrieve 10 to 30 eggs, some are still undeveloped cells, some have matured and some are very close to being mature. The eggs (all of them) are placed in a culture dish containing nutrient media and then are transferred to the incubator. On the other hand, semen is secured from the male partner. Necessary tests are run to see if there are any genetic issues. Through sperm washing, sperms are retrieved from the semen. (A donor sperm can be used to)
- Fertilization- The next step is the fertilization of the egg. The sperms are also preserved in the incubation center till this time. The most active sperm and healthy eggs are kept together with specific nutrients for fertilization. They are again left in the special chamber, till they form an embryo. This process has another part where sperm can also be directly injected into the egg. Then, the sperm and egg are placed in the special chamber and monitored whether they form an embryo.
- Embryo transfer and Implantation- This is the final step of the IVF treatment process. This generally takes six to ten days from the day of egg retrieval. As more than one fertilized egg was kept under observation, so first it is seen how many embryos have formed. Then the healthy ones and further the healthiest one is selected from them. This is called embryo screening. Now to transfer the embryo, a speculum is placed into the vagina. Then the embryo is transferred via a small plastic tube which is moved through the cervix into the uterine cavity.
Now you are aware of the IVF treatment process in India, IVF treatment places in India and why IVF treatment in India is preferred. Researching about the city you are planning to visit and the hospital you have selected highly advisable. Have all the arrangements regarding the trip, fixed beforehand only. We wish you a successful IVF treatment in India.