Whether it is a long drive or a short one, the idea of road travel has always been an exciting one. Moreover, considerable improvements in roadway infrastructure have added a new dash of enjoyment to it. But waiting in a long queue or having just the exact amount of change at a toll plaza has always been a hassle. Fortunately, the government found a solution to our long and tedious halts by introducing FASTags for automatic toll deduction.
What is a FASTag?
FASTag is a Rechargeable and easy-to-use tag affixed on your vehicle’s windscreen and through the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, this tag facilitates automatic electronic payment where toll money gets automatically deducted from your prepaid account and you do not have to worry about cash.
Here are some interesting facts you should know about FASTag:
- You will be required to pay double the toll amount at the toll plaza in case you do not have a FASTag when you enter the FASTag lane or your fastag is not working due to low balance or damaged RFID.
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) issued guidelines to ensure service time of not more than 10 seconds per vehicle even at peak hours at the toll plazas on the National Highways.
- Toll plaza lines for vehicles must be no more than 100 meters. The NHAI has chosen to adhere to a 100-meter queue regulation at toll plazas in order to guarantee smooth traffic flow. Therefore, if a vehicle waits in line for more than 100 meters, it may proceed without paying the toll.
- One can ask the issuer bank to give you a replacement FASTag in case of damage.
Benefits of Using FASTag
The government has made FASTag mandatory for several benefits, but we have highlighted some of the major benefits as.
- Saves time: FASTag reduces the chances of any congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas because the traffic does not have to halt for too long. With FASTag, all one has to do is stop at the toll, scan and pass through it, without any wasted time since cash payments are no longer necessary at the toll plaza.
- Tracks your toll expenses– When the toll fee is debited from your bank account or prepaid wallet you will be notified through email and SMS to your registered mobile number.
- Hassle-free Registration– A FASTag registration is a quick and easy procedure. If you wish to do it offline, you need to visit NETC – operated toll plazas and submit the required documents at the Point of Sale (POS) counter. One can also visit the Bank branch that offers FASTag. You could also apply online for FASTag, all you need to do is submit your vehicle’s number, registered owner ID proofs, and any other document as required with online portals of banks that issue FASTag. The tag will then be delivered to you after the payment has been made.
- Validity– A FASTag is valid for a period of five years. Once you set up your FASTag, you need not worry about this entire duration. All you need to do is keep your bank account running or keep your digital wallet active with sufficient balance.
- Easy Recharge– FASTag makes life easy as it can be recharged online. Linking FASTag with your bank account is very simple. There is no necessity to recharge FASTag separately. One simply needs to make sure that they have sufficient balance in their bank account to cover their toll charge.
With the advent of FASTag there is no longer a need to stand in a queue at the toll plazas for hours. You don’t need to carry cash owing to the FASTag. Now getting a FASTag is not a tedious task especially when there are several banks like Karnataka Bank that can issue it both online and offline. Save your money on fuel and time as you avail yourself of a FASTag to grant you convenience for a long time to have a smooth and hassle-free journey.