5 Herbal Remedies to Improve Your Digestion Naturally
Are you trying to improve your digestion naturally? Did you know that some plants can help you? This time we want to share 5 herbal remedies against major digestive discomfort.
Medicinal plants can help improve your digestion smoothly and naturally. Therefore, if you suffer from disorders such as flatulence, gas, heartburn, constipation, diarrhea, gastric ulcers, or indigestion, you can use these remedies.
In this article, we share 5 herbal remedies to improve your digestion. These are ginger, turmeric, licorice, Ceylon cinnamon, and fennel. Discover its digestive properties below!
Herbal remedies to improve your digestion:
Ginger is a very popular digestive remedy worldwide. In addition, it is used as a spice to enhance the flavor and give juiciness to food. On a medicinal level, the ginger rhizome has proven effective in treating diarrhea, gastric ulcers, and flatulence.
We can take the infused fresh ginger, or blend it with water and then strain it. We must keep in mind that its flavor is quite strong and spicy and it brings a lot of heat to the body.
Ginger root is one of the best herbal remedies to treat digestive problems. However, it should be taken in moderation.
Turmeric is a medicinal plant with numerous health properties. Among them, its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant virtues stand out thanks to its curcumin content. With regard to digestion, turmeric is effective for gastric ulcers and flatulence.
We can add the rhizome of turmeric powder to our dishes, both sweet (biscuits, creams, smoothies, juices) and salted (stews, tortillas, vegetables, sauces). Also, we can take it in infusion, for example with ginger, or as a supplement.
We must also highlight the combination of turmeric with black pepper. These three ingredients are able to further enhance the healing effects of curcumin present in this spice.
Licorice is a very popular medicinal plant in Ayurvedic medicine from India and also in many other countries. In fact, its root is a demulcent that protects the digestive system, mild laxative, and natural anti-inflammatory.
Thanks to these medicinal virtues! Licorice is beneficial for treating hyperacidity and gastric ulcers. In addition, its sweet taste is ideal for infusion and even combine with the other herbal remedies of this article.
We can also take licorice in candies or pills, or even chew the trunk to extract its extract. However, we must warn that licorice can raise blood pressure. Therefore, it is contraindicated in those people who suffer from high blood pressure.
Due to its anti-inflammatory and laxative properties, licorice root can contribute to the relief of various digestive ailments.
Cinnamon, especially its variety of Ceylon (Cinnamomic Zeylanicum), is a spice and remedy that should not be missing among our remedies. It has numerous health properties. Among them, it is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antilipemic, antidiabetic, antimicrobial, and anticancer.
In addition to being a culinary seasoning, our ancestors used it as a medicinal remedy, especially for respiratory and digestive conditions. In particular, it can help in cases of gastric ulcers and improve liver function. So, it can relieve indigestion. In addition, it can also help inhibit Helicobacter pylori and prevent intestinal parasites.
We can add Ceylon cinnamon powder to our stews, roasts, and sweets. In fact, it is a frequent seasoning in baking. We can also take it in capsules or extract.
- Fennel to improve your digestion
Finally, we must highlight the properties of fennel to improve your digestion naturally. Throughout the world, different parts of this plant are used, both seeds and leaves or roots.
Above all, Fennel is carminative. It facilitates the expulsion of gases from the digestive tract in cases of flatulence. And it also helps soothe stomach pain, reduces swelling, promotes evacuation, and is effective in cases of diarrhea.
In addition, fennel has also proven to be a natural remedy and without side effects to decrease the intensity of childhood colic. For this, an emulsion of the oil from its seed was used in infants from 2 to 12 weeks, which would reduce intestinal spasms and increase the motility of the small intestine.
Now that you know these herbal remedies to improve your digestion effectively and naturally. Do not hesitate to get them to always have them at hand. This way you will have an emergency kit for some mild digestive conditions, both for you and for your whole family.
READ MORE: Good Tips During Pregnancy
- Hewlings, S., & Kalman, D. (2017). Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health. Foods https://doi.org/10.3390/foods6100092
- Peterson, SN, Uchitel, S., Mills, PJ, Sharma, V., Chopra, D., Peterson, CT, & Denniston, K. (2018). Prebiotic Potential of Herbal Medicines Used in Digestive Health and Disease. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2017.0422
- Tangjitman, K., Wongsawad, C., Kamwong, K., Sukkho, T., & Trisonthi, C. (2015). Ethnomedicinal plants used for digestive system disorders by the Karen of northern Thailand. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13002-015-0011-9
- Prasad, S., Tyagi, AK, & Aggarwal, BB (2014). Recent developments in delivery, bioavailability, absorption and metabolism of curcumin: The golden pigment from golden spice. Cancer Research and Treatment. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.1.2
- Alexandrovich, I., Rakovitskaya, O., Kolmo, E., Sidorova, T., & Shushunov, S. (2003). The effect of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) seed oil emulsion in infantile colic: A randomized, placebo-controlled study. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine.