Are you a PC gamer with a passion for PlayStation exclusives but without the console to play them? You’re not alone. Many gamers find themselves wishing for access to PlayStation’s rich library of games without having to invest in another piece of hardware. Good news! There’s a way to bridge that gap!
Through PS Now on PC, Sony has extended an olive branch, giving you the chance to dive into some iconic PlayStation titles right from your computer.
In this article, we’ll explore how you can turn your PC into a portal for playing beloved PlayStation games on demand. Everything from setting up and navigating the service to game access will be covered thoroughly here.
Get ready; countless hours of entertainment await just beyond this guide and it all starts by clicking ‘Download.’
- PlayStation Now is a cloud gaming service from Sony. It lets you play PS2, PS3, and PS4 games on your PS4, PS5, or PC without needing to download them.
- To use PS Now, you need a fast and stable internet connection. At least 5 Mbps is recommended for good performance.
- PS Now has over 700 games to choose from. You can play games as long as you have an active subscription.
- On PS4 and PS5, some PS2 and PS4 games can be downloaded to play offline. On PC, all games are streaming only.
- In June 2022, PlayStation Now was discontinued as a standalone service. It has been merged into the new PlayStation Plus tiers.
What Is PlayStation (PS) Now?
|January 7, 2014
|Announced at CES, closed beta begins.
|May 19, 2014
|Closed beta expands to PS4.
|January 5, 2015
|Open beta begins in the US and Canada.
|March 15, 2016
|PlayStation Now launches in parts of Europe.
|September 20, 2016
|PlayStation Now becomes available on Windows PCs.
|PlayStation Now surpasses 500,000 subscribers.
|PlayStation Now enables game downloads on PS4.
|PlayStation Now expands to over 800 games.
|April 22, 2021
|1080p streaming support was introduced.
|March 29, 2022
|A merger with PlayStation Plus was announced, leading to new tiers.
|June 13, 2022
|PlayStation Now is officially discontinued as a standalone service.
How Does PS Now Work?
PlayStation Now (PS Now) is like having a gaming library in the cloud, similar to how Netflix or Spotify offer movies and music. With over 700 games, including titles from the PS2, PS3, and PS4, it’s a vast collection. Accessible through the PS Now app on your PlayStation 4 or PS5, you can enjoy these games whenever you want.
The technology behind PS Now comes from Sony’s acquisition of Gaikai, a cloud gaming company, and some features from the now-closed OnLive. This allows you to play games not stored on your local console but on powerful servers elsewhere.
Just like Xbox’s Project xCloud and Google Stadia, the game’s video is streamed over the internet to your device. Your controller commands and actions are sent back, creating a seamless experience that feels like playing games directly from your console.
Some PS4 games on the platform can also be downloaded, offering improved graphics and no lag, though they require hard drive space and are accessible only while you have an active subscription.
Minimum PC requirements for PS Now
To enjoy PS Now on your PC, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements. This includes having a Windows 7 or higher operating system, at least 2GB of RAM, and a sound card, in addition to compatible graphic processors and an Intel Core i3 processor for optimal performance.
Want to know more about how PS Now works on your PC? Keep reading!
PC Requirements for PS Now
Preparing to dive into the vast library of PlayStation games on your PC through PS Now can be an exciting venture. To ensure a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience, it’s crucial to first make certain that your system meets the minimum requirements.
Meeting these prerequisites ensures your gaming sessions run without a hitch. High-speed internet is crucial for a high-quality streaming experience, so double-check your broadband’s download speed. Keep in mind that the better the specs of your PC, the more you’ll enhance your gaming sessions.
A compatible controller seals the deal, creating an immersive PlayStation environment right on your desktop or laptop. Remember, each component plays a role in bringing the PlayStation universe to life on your PC don’t overlook any of these details. With your system ready, you’re all set to explore the world of PS Now gaming with confidence.
Streaming Requirements for PS Now
To seamlessly stream games with PS Now on PC, ensuring your system meets the proper streaming requirements is essential. A robust internet connection is non-negotiable for a smooth gaming experience.
Keep in mind that while PS Now Premium does allow for gameplay on PC it is streaming-only. Game downloads for local play are not available, so a steady and reliable internet connection remains critical. Fulfilling these requirements ensures that your gaming sessions are as interruption-free as possible.
What Controllers Can Be Used With PS Now on PC?
[Video Credit: @MaxDalton]
The PS Now on PC app supports several controllers, providing flexibility for users. Here are the compatible controllers:
- DualShock 3: This controller is compatible with the PS Now on PC app, offering a familiar gaming experience to users.
- DualShock 4: Users can also utilize the DualShock 4 controller for seamless gameplay on their PC via the PlayStation Now app.
- DualSense: The innovative DualSense controller is supported, allowing players to experience advanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers while using PlayStation Now on their PC.
- XInput-Compatible Controller: Additionally, any XInput-compatible controller can be used with the PlayStation Now app on PC, offering further versatility to gamers.
A Guide to Downloading and Installing PS Now on Your PC
To download and install PS Now on your PC, follow these steps:
- Check System Requirements: Ensure your PC meets the minimum requirements, including Windows 10 or higher and a stable internet connection.
- Download the app: Visit the official PlayStation website to download the PS Now app for PC.
- Install the app: Once downloaded, run the installer and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation process.
- Launch the App: After installation, launch the PS Now app from your desktop or the Start menu.
- Sign In or Create Account: Sign in to your existing PlayStation Network account or create a new one if you don’t have one yet.
- Explore Catalog: Once logged in, browse through the available games on PS Now and select those you want to play.
- Start Playing: With everything set up, choose a game from the catalog and start playing directly on your PC through PS Now.
To get to the settings menu on the PlayStation Now app for PC, first open the app on your computer. Look at the top right of the app window and click on the drop-down menu that says “Settings.”
In the settings, you can change things like:
- Video quality: make the video higher or lower quality. Higher use more internet.
- Audio output: Choose where to send the sound, like speakers or headphones.
- Language: Pick which language you want to see the app in.
- Manage account: View your account information or change your subscription.
- Network usage: Set limits on how much internet data PS Now uses. It is good if you have slow internet or data caps.
- Game updates: choose if games update automatically or not.
Make sure to pick the settings that work best for your internet speed and data plan. Choosing the right settings will give you the smoothest and best gaming experience when using PlayStation Now on your Windows PC.
You can also explore all the other settings options to customize PlayStation Now to work the way you like on your computer. Adjusting these settings to match your needs will optimize your gaming time and make playing games more enjoyable.
Accessing Your Games on PS Now
To access your games on PS Now, follow these steps:
- Once you’ve installed the PS Now application on your PC, open it and log in to your account.
- Browse through the available game library and select the game you want to play.
- Click on the game to start streaming it directly to your PC.
- If you want to access your saved games, ensure that you have an active PlayStation Plus subscription.
- You can also use cloud storage for saved games if you have a compatible PlayStation console.
How to Play PS Now Games on Your PC
To play PS Now games on your PC, follow these steps:
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection of at least 5 MB/s to avoid lags and interruptions while playing.
- Download and install the PS Now app on your PC by visiting the official PlayStation website and following the provided instructions.
- Open the PS Now app on your PC and log in using your PlayStation Network account details, or create a new account if you don’t have one.
- Browse through the available games in the PS Now library and select the game you want to play.
- Once you’ve selected a game, click on the “Start” or “Play” button to begin streaming it directly to your PC.
- Use a compatible controller, such as DualShock 3, DualShock 4, DualSense, or any XInput-compatible controller, to play the game seamlessly on your PC.
- Enjoy playing your favorite PlayStation games with no need for installation or downloads directly on your PC screen.
- Experience smooth gameplay as long as you maintain a stable internet connection throughout your gaming session.
Accessing and using PS Now on PC opens up a world of PlayStation games at your fingertips. The minimum PC requirements for PS Now are attainable for many users, making it accessible to a wide audience.
With the ability to use a PlayStation controller and share saved games between PC and console, the experience is seamless. Despite some limitations in search functionality and multi-monitor support, the service offers a vast library of games through cloud streaming.
By following these simple steps to download and install PS Now on PC, you can dive into the world of PlayStation gaming without needing a console.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Now, let’s explore some frequently asked questions regarding PS Now on PC.