How to Cook Salmon in Air Fryer – Easiest Guide for You!
Are you craving delicious and perfectly cooked salmon? Look no further than your trusty air fryer! Cooking salmon in an air fryer is a game-changer, delivering a mouthwatering dish with a delightful crispy skin. But how to cook salmon in air fryer?
You can do it in 3 easy steps. First, get all the ingredients and season the salmon. Next air fry it at 180°C (356°F) for around 10 minutes and finally serve it.
Read this article and you’ll learn about it in proper detail. Plus you’ll learn some additional tips and serving ideas.
Is it Okay to Cook Salmon in Air Fryer: Benefits
Yes, it is absolutely okay to cook salmon in an air fryer. In fact, cooking salmon in an air fryer can yield fantastic results. The air fryer provides a convenient and efficient way to cook salmon with minimal effort and great outcomes.
One of the advantages of using an air fryer for salmon is that it helps achieve crispy skin. The hot circulating air in the fryer cooks the salmon evenly and promotes a delightful, crispy texture on the skin. This is a desirable feature that many salmon lovers enjoy.
Additionally, cooking salmon in an air fryer is relatively quick. The air fryer preheats rapidly, and the cooking process itself takes just a few minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. This makes it a great option for busy individuals or those who want to prepare a quick and healthy meal.
Another benefit of using an air fryer is that it requires minimal oil. The air circulation in the fryer ensures that the salmon is cooked evenly and becomes tender without excessive oil absorption. This can be particularly appealing to those who prefer a lighter and healthier cooking method.
Overall, the air fryer offers a convenient way to cook salmon, producing flavorful and crispy results. Whether you enjoy the natural flavors of the fish or prefer to season it with your favorite spices and herbs, the air fryer can help you achieve a delicious and satisfying meal in no time.
How to Cut Salmon Into Portions?
If the salmon is not already portioned, you can do it yourself. Place the salmon skin-side-down on a cutting board and use a sharp knife. Having the skin against the cutting board makes it easier to cut through the raw salmon skin. If you want you can also read – how to clean chicken.
How to Cook Salmon in Air Fryer (Without Skin)
Now, I’ll discuss the step-by-step guide on how to cook salmon. But before that let’s learn about the recipe facts
- Preparation and Cooking Time:
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 8 mins – 10 mins
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Serving Size: The recipe serves 4 people.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Mixed herbs: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic granules (optional): 1 teaspoon
- Salmon fillets (4 x 130g fillets, skin removed)
- Olive oil: ½ tablespoon
- Cooked seasonal greens and grains (such as quinoa or brown rice) for serving (optional)
Now let’s move on to the main segment.
Step 1: Season the Salmon
- In a bowl, combine the salt, pepper, mixed herbs, and optional garlic granules.
- Scatter the seasoning mixture onto a plate.
- Rub each salmon fillet with a small amount of olive oil, then coat them evenly by rolling them in the seasoning mixture.
Step 2: Air Fry the Salmon
- Arrange the seasoned salmon fillets in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Set the air fryer to 180°C (356°F) and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the salmon is fully cooked through.
- If using larger salmon fillets, adjust the cooking time accordingly. Check the doneness after 10 minutes and continue cooking in 1-2 minute increments until ready.
Step 3: Serve
- Once cooked, remove the air fryer salmon from the basket.
- Serve the salmon with your choice of cooked seasonal greens and grains, such as quinoa or rice, if desired.
Cooking Method for Air Fryer Salmon with Skin
Here we’ll discuss the method for air fryer salmon with skin.
- Salmon fillet with skin: ¾ lb.
- Olive oil: 1 tsp.
- Salt: 1 tsp.
- Pepper: ½ tsp.
- Seasonings of choice, optional
Now let’s get into the recipe steps.
- Start by placing the salmon skin side down and divide it into 2 portions.
- Brush both sides of the salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Slide the salmon into the air fryer tray with the skin side facing up.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F and cook for 8-11 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F at the thickest part of the salmon.
- Once cooked, transfer the salmon to a plate and let it rest.
- If you prefer crispier skin, carefully remove the skin from the top of the salmon portions using tongs. Place the skin back in the air fryer.
- To prevent the skin from flying around, place a heat-safe trivet on top of the skin.
- Cook the skin at 400°F for 2-4 minutes, or until it reaches the desired crispness.
- After removing the skin from the air fryer and allowing it to cool slightly, it will become even crispier.
- Place the crisped skin pieces on top of the salmon portions and serve immediately.
Facts to Remember
- The cook time may vary depending on the thickness of the salmon. It’s important to note that the safe temperature for salmon is considered to be 145°F, which the salmon will reach after it has rested.
- However, if you prefer your salmon to be slightly less well done, you can opt to remove it from the air fryer when it reaches a temperature of 120°F. This typically takes around 7-8 minutes of cooking time.
5 min Salmon in Air Fryer Recipe (min 5)
Are you in a hurry? Check this 5 min recipe for cooking salmon in the air fryer.
- Serving: 4
- Cooking time: 5 minute
- Prep time: 1 minute
- Salmon: 4 fillets of salmon, 6 oz each
- Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper: 1/2 teaspoon
- Brown sugar: 2 tablespoons
- Smoked paprika: 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Take a small bowl and coat the salmon with oil. Then, sprinkle the salt and pepper over the salmon.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining sugar and spices together. Rub this mixture over the salmon, ensuring it is evenly coated.
- Place the salmon, skin side down, into the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 200°C/400°F and cook for approximately 6 minutes, or until the salmon is fully cooked.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the salmon from the air fryer basket.
- To add a finishing touch, sprinkle some chopped parsley over the salmon.
What Should You Serve With Fried Salmon?
Now you’ve learned how to cook salmon in an air fryer. But what about the serving? Below check the points and understand more about it.
- Salad: Pairing your perfect air-fried salmon with a fresh salad creates a well-balanced meal. Consider serving it on top of a Corn Tomato Avocado Salad or a Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad.
- Grains: Rice, couscous, barley, and farro make excellent choices to complement salmon, providing a satisfying meal. Try serving it with Lebanese Rice, Mediterranean Couscous Salad, or Turmeric Rice Salad.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasting vegetables enhances their natural flavors and pairs well with the crispy texture of fried salmon. Roast vegetables such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or carrots seasoned with herbs and spices for a delicious and colorful side.
- Steamed Vegetables: Steamed vegetables are a light and healthy choice that won’t overpower the flavors of the salmon. Serve steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans for a simple and nutritious accompaniment.
- Potatoes: Whether roasted, mashed, or baked, potatoes are a versatile option that complements fried salmon well. Consider serving roasted baby potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, or crispy potato wedges for a satisfying side.
- Citrus Salsa: Add a burst of freshness to your fried salmon with zesty citrus salsa. Combine diced oranges, grapefruits, or pineapple with red onions, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. This vibrant salsa provides a tangy contrast to the rich flavors of the salmon.
- Dill Sauce: A creamy dill sauce can enhance the taste of fried salmon. Mix together Greek yogurt, fresh dill, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle this sauce over the salmon for a delightful combination.
What’s the Safe Temperature for Salmon?
The FDA recommends cooking salmon to an internal temperature of 145°F to ensure the destruction of any harmful bacteria. However, some people prefer to cook salmon to medium doneness, around 120°F – 125°F. For more information on salmon cooking temperatures, you can refer to the Alaska Salmon Company.
Tips for Cooking Salmon in Air Fryer
Salmon is a highly nutritious food and you can make it even better by cooking in a better way. Here are a few more tips for making salmon in the air fryer:
Pat the Salmon Dry
Before seasoning and placing the salmon in the air fryer, make sure to pat it dry with paper towels. Removing excess moisture helps the salmon cook more evenly and enhances its crispiness.
Season the salmon with your preferred herbs, spices, or marinade to add flavor. Don’t be afraid to be generous with the seasoning, as the air frying process can mellow the flavors.
Use a Cooking Spray
Lightly spray the air fryer basket or the salmon itself with cooking spray to prevent sticking. This will make cleanup easier and ensure the salmon retains its crispy texture. Additionally, you can also read about the best Bihari-style chicken recipe.
Flip Halfway Through
If you’re cooking thicker salmon fillets, consider flipping them halfway through the cooking time. This helps to ensure even browning and cooking on both sides.
Experiment with Different Coatings
For added texture and flavor, you can coat the salmon with various coatings before air frying. Options include breadcrumbs, crushed nuts, or a parmesan crust. These coatings can create a delicious crispy crust on the salmon.
Add a Squeeze of Lemon
Just before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the cooked salmon. The acidity brightens the flavors and complements the richness of the fish.
Rest Before Serving
Allow the cooked salmon to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute and results in a more tender and flavorful fish.
Remember, cooking times and temperatures may vary depending on the air fryer model and the thickness of the salmon fillets. It’s always best to keep a close eye on the salmon during cooking and adjust the time as needed to achieve your desired level of doneness.
Read also: 6 best recipes for kids
How to Prevent Salmon from Sticking to Your Air Fryer?
There are two methods you can use to prevent salmon from sticking to your air fryer:
Method 1: Lightly Brushing the Air fryer grate with oil
Before adding the salmon to the air fryer, lightly brush the bottom grate with oil. This helps create a non-stick surface and prevents the salmon from sticking during cooking.
Method 2: Using Parchment Paper
Another option is to use parchment paper in your air fryer. It is safe to use parchment paper in an air fryer. To use this method, place parchment paper that fits under the salmon without bunching it together or leaving excessive loose paper on the sides of the air fryer. As the parchment paper cooks, it may curl up slightly, so it’s important to use enough paper to fit under the entire piece of fish you are cooking.
How to Cook Salmon Using Over?
Don’t you have an air fryer? Don’t worry I’ve added a recipe for cooking salmon using the oven. Let’s check it
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- Level: Easy
- Salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces (12-ounce)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse-grained salt
- Toasted Almond Parsley Salsa
- Baked squash (optional, for serving)
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius).
Step 2: Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Place the salmon, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet or in a non-stick pan with an oven-proof handle.
Step 4: Bake the salmon in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
Step 5: Once cooked, remove the salmon from the oven and serve it with the Toasted Almond Parsley Salad and squash, if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Now let’s get some common questions on this topic.
Why should I cook salmon in an air fryer?
Cooking salmon in an air fryer produces incredibly succulent and perfectly cooked results. It is a simple and hassle-free process, requiring minimal effort for preparation and cleanup. Unlike shallow frying, using an air fryer reduces the need for oil, making it a healthier option. The outcome speaks for itself in terms of taste and texture.
Can air-fried salmon be stored?
Air fryer salmon is an excellent choice for meal prepping, as it can be easily incorporated into salads and grain dishes for quick and convenient lunches or dinners. When stored in an airtight container, it can be kept fresh for up to 3 days. Additionally, cooked salmon pieces can be frozen for up to 3 months. To use the frozen salmon, simply thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it until heated through.
Do you leave the skin on salmon when air frying?
Well, it depends on you. But there is no need to remove the skin from the salmon before air frying. Place the salmon in the air fryer with the skin side down, on the bottom.
What temp is salmon done?
it is recommended to cook it to an internal temperature of 125 degrees Fahrenheit (52 degrees Celsius). On the other hand, wild salmon should be cooked to a slightly lower temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius).
Is it okay to freeze cooked salmon?
Yes, it is indeed possible to freeze cooked salmon. However, it’s important to note that the texture and flavor of the fish may be affected during its time in the freezer. Cooked salmon can be frozen for approximately four to six months, given that it is properly sealed in freezer-safe bags or airtight plastic containers to prevent freezer burn and maintain its quality.
I think you’ve already understood how to cook salmon in air fryer. It’s really an easy and quick recipe. Plus, cooking salmon in an air fryer is a fantastic way to enjoy a mouthwatering and crispy dish that satisfies your seafood cravings.
That’s all for today, Happy Cooking!