How to Find AirPods: A Guide to Track, Locate, Retrieve
Many people want to know how to find AirPods. Most likely, you use your AirPods often, so you don’t want to lose them. Apple has updated the AirPod tracking features in the Find My app so that you can find lost earbuds or headphones even when they are out of Bluetooth range. Here’s how to make sure your Apple audio devices never get lost again.
Depending on which model of AirPods you have, these steps will be a little different, but there are options for all of them. When you connect these devices to an iPhone, iPad, or Mac that is linked to your Apple account and iCloud, their location is automatically recorded in the Find My app (though you can disable this in the Find My app if you want).
Here you get everything on how to find AirPods using the Find My apps. So let’s get rid of all the matters which you need to know.
How to Find AirPods When They Go Missing
AirPods were made to be slim and small, which makes it easy to lose them. You can find your AirPods with your iPhone or a web browser, and there are several ways to do so. In fact, Apple just released a new firmware version for AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and some Beats headphones that makes it easier to find them with the “Find My” app. Here’s everything you need to know about how to find AirPods and let other iPhone users know so they can help you find them.
What is the Find My App?
Apple made the Find My app so they could keep track of where their products were when they were being used. This app is based on the well-known Find My iPhone and Find My Mac apps, both of which came out in 2010.
If you always lose your AirPods or other Apple products. And thinking about how to find AirPods. The Find My app is a gift from heaven. With this app, you can find your lost device quickly on a map or by playing a sound so you can find it right away.
You’ll also be able to use the iCloud website to remotely access your device to find your lost AirPods, lock it, show a message, or delete all of its data. This app has everything you need to do if you lose your Apple device, and it is definitely helpful.
How to Set Up the “Find My” App
When you open Find My App on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, your AirPods should show up under the Devices tab. Click on them to see where they are on a map. If the AirPods have run out of power or are offline for some other reason, you’ll see where they were last seen. You can also use iCloud on the web to get to this same place.
If your AirPods don’t show up on the map, turn on the Notify When Found toggle switch (under Notifications), and you’ll get a notification when they reconnect. There is no guarantee that they will show up again, but this option saves you from having to open Find My every ten minutes to see if your lost hardware has returned to the map.
You’ll have a Directions button on your first-gen or second-gen AirPods. This will lead you to the place where your Bluetooth earbuds were last connected. It’s not very accurate, but it works fine. But that’s all the older AirPods could do.
If you’re looking for the third-generation AirPods, the AirPods Pro, or the AirPods Max, you’ll also see a “Directions” button. But these devices have an Ultra-Wideband (UWB) chip, which makes location tracking more accurate—as long as you also have an iPhone with a UWB chip (so the iPhone 11 and later).
If your iPhone and AirPods are UWB-ready, the Find button in the Find My app will work better to find your AirPods, just like if you were looking for an airbag. Just follow the on-screen instructions to find your missing devices (if you need to, you can switch between the left and the right AirPod).
See Your AirPods in the Find My App
- Update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, or macOS.
- Open the Find My app.
- Select the Devices tab.
- Choose your AirPods. Under each device, you see a location or “No location found.”
Use the Find My app on iCloud.com to look for your AirPods from your computer.
How to Find Your AirPods Using the Find My App
Find My App is a helpful app that can help you find your AirPods 1, AirPods 2, AirPods 3, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max if you lose them.
You’ll find the most essential information about how to use the feature below.
How to Find AirPods Using Find My’s Direction or Play Sound Feature
Here’s how I track my AirPods through the Find My app:
- Open the Find My app and select the Devices tab.
- Click on the AirPods from the list of devices or click the image of the AirPods on the real-time map.
- Click on the Play Sound option so you could hear where your AirPods are or choose the Directions option so you could navigate your way to your AirPods.
How to Find Nearby AirPods?
The next part of Find My that is worth looking at is the “Find Nearby” feature.
Compatible AirPods (right now, only AirPods Pro, AirPods 3, and AirPods Max) always send out a Bluetooth signal, so nearby devices can always figure out where they are.
This feature lets you find your AirPods based on how close or far away they are. It works kind of like the old “hot and cold” game. Based on how strong the Bluetooth signal is, it tells you if you are getting closer or farther away from the AirPods.
Just follow these steps to make use of this feature:
- Open the Find My app on a supported iPhone or iPad (version 15.0.1 or later)
- Select the AirPods you wish to locate
- Tap ‘Find’. If you are close enough to the AirPods to get a signal, the app will show if you’re getting ‘hotter’ or ‘colder’ from the AirPods.
How to Find AirPods Using Your iPhone
Open the Find My app on your iPhone and go to the Devices tab to find your AirPods. Then swipe up and choose your AirPods to see a map of where they were last seen. You can also play a sound, get directions, use the new Find feature, and more from this page. Here are a few steps about how to find AirPods using iPhone:
- On your iPhone, open the app called “Find My App.” Find My App comes with your iPhone, and you can’t get rid of it. If you can’t find it, swipe down on your home screen and type “Find My” in the search bar at the top of your screen.
- Tap Devices then. At the bottom of your screen, you will see this.
- Choose your AirPods from the list that appears next. Swipe up to see all your Apple devices, including your AirPods, if you don’t see them.
- Check the map to see where you last connected your AirPods.
Under your name, you will also see the nearest street address.
- Tap Play Sound if your AirPods are nearby. Then, in the pop-up window, tap Play Sound again. Your two AirPods will start to beep, but the sound is not very loud.
- Tap Directions if your AirPods are far away. This will tell you how to get to the last place where your AirPods were connected. Then you can tap Go to get step-by-step directions for walking, driving, and more.
- Lastly, if you are close enough, you can also tap Find to find your lost AirPods. With this new feature, your iPhone will tell you if you are getting closer or farther away from your AirPods, so you can get close enough to hear the beeping.
How to find your AirPods using Find My on iCloud.com
You can use any web browser you want to get to iCloud.com, where you can sign in with your Apple ID.
If “Find iPhone” is an option, click it. You may be asked to enter a 6-digit number that was sent to another Apple device first. If that’s the case, enter the number and click “Find iPhone.”
At the top of the Find My map, you’ll see “All Devices.” Click to bring up a drop-down menu, then choose your AirPods to see where they are or where they were last seen.
How to Use Find My App on a Mac
You can also use your Mac to take advantage of the Find My AirPods feature:
- Open the Apple Menu and click on System Preferences
- Click on Security & Privacy
- Activate the Privacy tab, and if the padlock shown in the lower left-hand corner is locked, click on it and enter the administrator’s name and password
- Select Location Services
- Click the “Enable Location Services” checkbox to activate it and make sure that the checkbox next to “Find My” is also active
- Click on “Done”
- Select Apple ID followed by iCloud
- Make sure the checkbox next to “Find My Mac” is active here, too
- To ensure you can find items even if they’re lost or stolen, go to Options and then make sure that Find My Mac is active and Find My network is on
- Click on “Done”
How to Find Lost AirPods on a Web Browser
Go to iCloud.com/find and sign in with your Apple ID and password to find your AirPods using a web browser. Then choose All Devices and pick your AirPods from the list that appears. Then you can find them on a map or by clicking Play Sound.
- Go to iCloud.com/find in your browser. Any major web browser will work.
- Then use your Apple ID and password to sign in. Click Forgot Apple ID or password if you don’t know your Apple ID or password.
- Choose All Devices on a computer. At the top of your screen, you will see this. If you are on a mobile device, your Apple device will be listed at the bottom of the screen. If your AirPods aren’t on the list, you can swipe up to see all of your Apple devices.
- the AirPods you want to use. This will show on a map where they were last seen.
- Click Play Sound to find one AirPod at a time.
Then, by clicking the Mute Left and Mute Right buttons, you can use Find My on iCloud to find one AirPod at a time.
How to Find AirPods When They’re Dead
The best (and only really effective) way how to find AirPods is to use the “Find My” app. If you’ve lost one or both earbuds outside of the case, the Find My app can tell you where they are to within about 20 meters when using GPS, and it’s even more accurate when using Bluetooth data.
It’s important to note that the Find My app works best when one or both of your AirPods have gone missing outside of the case and you’re looking for them separately.
Technically, you can still use the Find My app to find your AirPods in their charging case, but only if the app remembers where they were the last time you used them.
Also, it’s important to note that the Find My app is made to find devices that are still working. You can check the battery level and when your AirPods are charged and within 30 to 50 feet of you, the Find My app lets you play a sound to help you find them.
When your AirPods are dead, the app doesn’t work nearly as well. Even if that’s true, Find My is still the best way to find your lost or broken AirPods.
If They’re Still in Bluetooth Range
If your AirPods died near your phone, like in your house, the Find My app will tell you where they were last seen.
Your AirPods shouldn’t have moved since they died unless you have some mischievous family members. They should still be in the same place.
Use the Find My app to figure out where your AirPods were last seen, and you should be able to get them back in a few minutes. If you want you can read on – how to reset AirPods
If They’re Not In Bluetooth Range
If you know that your AirPods are both
- Dead, and
- Farther than 150 feet away from you
Because the Find My app won’t have the best information, it will be a little harder to find them.
Even if your AirPods die, the Find My app can still help, but it works best if they are close to your phone. So, your Find My app will still have some information you can use. Where do you look?
So, to put it simply, it’s time to start making guesses. Think hard about where you might have put them and try to find them.
That, plus any other information your Find My app has, should be enough to get you close to them.
I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, but there really aren’t many ways to find dead AirPods. It’s not easy to find AirPods that no longer work. It’s not an impossible question, but it’s also not a simple one.
How to Find AirPod Case
If you are using macOS Mojave, you can use the “Find my iPhone” app to find your AirPods case. The “Find My” app will be used by Mac users who have upgraded to macOS Catalina. If you try to find the case without the AirPods in it, it won’t make a sound if the case is nearby, but it will still show you where it is. Follow these steps to find the case for your AirPods.
How to Find AirPods Case:
- Start the Find my iPhone app on your iPhone.
- Check the list of devices you’ve paired with your iPhone and tap the option that says “AirPods.”
- Check to see if there is a green light next to the name of your AirPods.
- If there is a green dot, then the case is close by.
- If you see a grey dot instead, that means your AirPods case is not nearby. Grey light means that it’s too far away.
- Tap the “Play Sound” button on the green dot to play loud music on your AirPods and follow the sound to find them.
- If you are offline, tap the Car icon to see where your AirPods were last seen.
Even though having the AirPods would be the best-case scenario,
- If you look inside the case and online, it will be easier and faster to find them. If you are lucky, the other way to find your way around could also work well.
What to Do If Only One AirPod or AirPod Pro Is Missing
When you have AirPods or AirPods Pro, it’s easy to lose one earbud, which can be very frustrating. Apple has fixed this problem by letting users find them one earbud at a time using the Find My app.
The only difference is that you have to treat each AirPod as a separate device. This is the way how to find AirPods:
- Open the Find My app > Devices > AirPods
- Use either the Play Sound or the Directions feature to find one of the earbuds.
- Put the earbud back in the case and wait for the map to refresh. If the map fails to refresh right away, simply restart the app.
- Once the other earbud’s location shows up, use the Play Sound or Directions feature again to find it.
What If Your Lost AirPods Aren’t Near Your Phone?
That’s great if you lost your AirPods nearby, but what if they’re farther away from how to find AirPods? Again, the same technology is used as with AirTags: Apple uses every other iPhone on the planet to look for the signals that your AirPods are sending out. This is done in a safe and anonymous way.
Select your AirPods in Find My App, scroll down the tab with the device information, and tap Activate under Mark as Lost. If you tap Continue, you can enter an email address or phone number that will show up on the screen of whoever finds your AirPods. You’ll also get a notification on your own device with their reported location. In lost mode, your AirPods are linked to your Apple ID, so no one else can use them.
There are also a few other things that are worth talking about how to find AirPods. There is also a Play Sound option for your AirPods in Find My. This is another way to find out where your earbuds or headphones are, and it also shows up on the Find screen when you’re using UWB to find lost devices. Aside from this also read on – Connect AirPods to Chromebook.
How to Never Lose Your AirPods Again
It’s great that your phone can help you find your AirPods if you lose them. But it would be even better if they never got lost again. To do this, you can turn on the Notify When Left Behind option in the Find My app. This does exactly what you might think it does: it sends a message to your iPhone when your iPhone and a connected pair of AirPods get too far apart. Again, you can do this with AirTags if you need to.
When you add up all of these features, it should be pretty hard to ever lose your AirPods again. If you’d rather not have them tracked this way, tap the Remove This Device button at the bottom of the AirPods entry in the Find My app. They won’t show up on the map anymore, and you won’t be able to find them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Now it’s time to show you some FAQs on how to find AirPods.
How I Find My lost AirPods?
Open the Find My app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Select your AirPods from the Devices tab. Scroll down until you see “Mark as Lost,” then click “Activate.” Follow the steps on the screen to show your contact information for your lost AirPods.
Can you track your AirPods case?
Your AirPods won’t make any noise while they’re in the case, so you’re out of luck if you lose both the AirPods and the AirPods Case. Find My AirPods requires a Bluetooth connection, so there’s no way to find a lost AirPods case.
How far can AirPods be tracked?
AirPods can be found up to 40 feet away, but once they leave that range, they can’t be found again. Also, the person who stole them can easily sync them to their own iPhone, which makes it harder for you to find them.
What happens if you lose AirPod?
If your AirPods or Charging Case gets broken by accident, you can pay a fee to replace the broken part. If you lose your AirPods or your Charging Case, we can replace them for a fee.
How do you find your AirPods if they are offline and dead?
The best (and only really effective) way to find your lost AirPods is to use the “Find My” app. If you’ve lost one or both earbuds outside of the case, the Find My app can tell you where they are to within about 20 meters when using GPS, and it’s even more accurate when using Bluetooth data.
Can Apple track stolen AirPods from the store?
No, their serial numbers can’t be used to track them digitally. If they were lost nearby (like near your iPhone), you might be able to find them. You can use the Find My app to find your lost AirPods.
Can I track lost AirPods without a case?
If you lose your AirPods, you’ll have to use things like airbags or other tracking devices to find them. The Find My App can only keep track of the AirPods, not the case.
And that’s it! Find My from Apple is one of the most useful services out there right now. With cool features like Play Sound and Directions, it would definitely help people find their lost AirPods.
So, don’t freak out the next time you reach into your pocket for your AirPods and can’t find them. You can either use your iPhone or go to the iCloud website, click on Find My, and then click on your AirPods. It’s that simple! No more cold sweats and little heart attacks.