Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main is a national level competitive test that allows aspirants admission to undergraduate engineering courses in various engineering and architecture colleges in India. The exam is organized by the National Testing Agency (NTA) and is a successor of the All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE). Students have to qualify JEE Main to pursue an engineering degree from esteemed engineering institutions like Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and other Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs).
About JEE Main 2020
JEE Main is an important qualifying exam and students must clear the Main cut off to appear for JEE Advanced, the second level of examination that allows admission to various programs at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) campuses.
JEE Main 2020 exam (First Attempt) was conducted in the month of January (January 6 to 9) in online mode for admission to undergraduate programs like Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Technology (BE/B.Tech) and B.Arch (Bachelor of Architecture) and B.Planning (Bachelor of Planning) in top colleges. Students can take the second attempt of JEE Main 2020 examination, which will tentatively be held in the first week of April.
JEE Main 2020 Question Paper Pattern and Marking Scheme for BE/B.Tech (Paper 1)
The JEE Main 2020 Question paper is set by NTA. Candidates aspiring to take admission to BE/B.Tech through JEE Main marks must be well aware of the question paper pattern and marking scheme.
JEE Main 2020 Question Paper has a total of 75 questions including 25 questions each from Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. Each question carries 4 marks. Following points need to be noted to understand question paper pattern and marking scheme:
- Out of 75 questions, 60 questions are of multiple-choice format (4 options with only 1 correct option). 15 Numerical Value-based questions (5 questions for each subject) have been added to the question paper.
- Each correct answer carries 4 marks, whether it is MCQs or Numeric Value Answers-based question. So, the total marks of JEE Main 2020 Question Paper 1 are 300.
- The paper contains negative marking. For each incorrect option selected, ¼ marks (Minus 1 ) will be deducted from the total attained marks. However, there is no negative marking for incorrect responses in numerical type questions.
- There is no marks deduction for unattempted questions.
JEE Main 2020 Question Paper Pattern and Marking Scheme for B.Arch (Paper 2)
- Two sets of exams are conducted for B.Arch aspirants: Online Exam for Mathematics and Aptitude and Offline Exam for drawing test.
- Mathematics and Aptitude contain Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Drawing Exam tests the candidates’ drawing and sketching skills.
- B.Arch papers contain 77 questions for a total of 400 marks. Apart from 75 MCQ questions for 300 marks, the drawing test contains 2 questions of 50 marks each.
JEE Main 2020 Question Paper Pattern and Marking Scheme for B.Planning (Paper 3)
- The test paper contains 100 questions: 25 questions each of Mathematics, Aptitude, and Planning.
- Total marks of the JEE Main Paper 3 are 400.
JEE Main 2020 Exam scores for January paper were announced by NTA on January 17. However, the cut off has not been announced yet and it will be declared only after the announcement of result or before counselling. JEE Main 2020 cut off will be of two types: Qualifying Cut Off and Admission Cut Off. The qualifying Cut Off is basically the minimum marks a student needs to score to be eligible for JEE Advanced. The admission cut off will decide a student’s admission to institutions accepting JEE Main scores.
It is quite difficult to predict the cutoff of JEE Main. It will be based on the percentile score comparing both the January and April exams. However, experts have predicted the qualifying cutoff to be 74 for General, 45 for OBC, 29 for SC, and 24 for ST.
Vedantu JEE mains 2020 question paper with solutions are available online for students to analyze their performance in the examination and accordingly prepare for the second attempt if they are taking so. Understanding questions asked in JEE Main 2020 paper and looking at the solution will also help students prepare for the JEE Advanced exam that will be held in the month of May.
There are many premier online mentoring sites like Vedantu that provide JEE Main 2020 Question Paper with Solutions for student’s help and also assist them in their preparation.
Read More: Top 10 Tips to Prepare for NEET 2020